GRAIL is a healthcare company whose mission is to detect cancer early, when it can be cured.
GRAIL is using the power of high-intensity sequencing,population-scale clinical studies, and state-of-the-art computer science and data science to enhance the scientific understanding of cancer biology and to develop and commercialize pioneering products for the early detection of cancer.
We are seeking passionate and talented individuals to join us in realizing our mission, which has the potential to alleviate the global burden of cancer.
In search of the right opportunity for you? Apply to GRAIL to be considered for future roles!
Senior Clinical Laboratory Associate - Accessioning
GRAIL is a healthcare company whose mission is to detect cancer early, when it can be cured. GRAIL is focused on alleviating the global burden of cancer by developing pioneering technology to detect and identify multiple deadly cancer types early. The company is using the power of next-generation sequencing, population-scale clinical studies, and state-of-the-art computer science and data science to enhance the scientific understanding of cancer biology, and to develop its multi-cancer early detection blood test. GRAIL is located in Menlo Park, California. It is supported by leading global investors and pharmaceutical, technology, and healthcare companies. For more information, please visit www.grail.com
The Senior Clinical Laboratory Associate - Accessioning (SCLA-A) will assist in building and establishing GRAIL’s Clinical Laboratory, performing specimen testing and supporting the daily operations of the Clinical Laboratory. The focus of the SCLA-A will be on leading the tracking, receipt, triage, accession, centrifugation, and plasma isolation of patient specimens submitted to the Clinical Laboratory for testing.
- Lead pre-analytical testing activities including specimen processing, quality control, preparation and aliquoting of reagents.
- Lead sample intake, unpacking, and processing of all incoming clinical specimens.
- Enter and qualify customer and patient information into GRAIL’s laboratory information management system (LIMS).
- Accurately identify customer deviations from established packing, labeling, and test requisition form (TRF) completion protocols.
- Operate laboratory instruments and equipment under the supervision of a Clinical Laboratory Scientist (CLS), and troubleshoot / problem solve instrument issues.
- Monitor and perform equipment maintenance according to laboratory protocols.
- Monitor and record room and cold storage temperatures and humidity.
- Participate in and comply with applicable regulatory requirements and best practices.
- Maintain sufficient inventory of material, supplies, and equipment in the laboratory.
- Lead the organization and maintenance of Accessioning Clinical Laboratory records, under manager direction.
- Initiate outbound communication with physicians and other medical personnel to expeditiously resolve issues related to specimens/paperwork received in the laboratory.
- Accurately document all interactions with customers in GRAIL’s customer relationship management (CRM) software.
- Embody GRAIL values and communicate with others in accordance with these standards.
- Identify process improvement opportunities and implement them with guidance from laboratory management.
- Adhere to and draft Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) pertaining to accessioning and equipment maintenance.
- Comply with GRAIL policies regarding Bloodborne Pathogen Exposure Control, Chemical Hazards, Illness and Injury Prevention, Fire Safety, and Quality Assurance.
- Abide by CLIA, CAP, HIPAA, and other state, federal, and regulatory guidelines.
- Participate in cross-functional teams responsible for timely test delivery and customer support.
Your Background Should Include:
- Bachelor of Arts or Science in Molecular Biology or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in a CAP/CLIA certified clinical laboratory is required.
- Ability to prioritize tasks with a high emphasis on quality.
- Ability to take initiative to design and implement process improvements.
- Strong organizational skills and meticulous attention to detail.
- Ability to accept, integrate, and apply constructive feedback in a professional manner.
- Ability to be able to work as part of a team within a highly collaborative environment.
- Strong computer, internet, and software operation skills.
- Flexibility of work schedule to meet the needs of the Clinical Laboratory.
- Knowledge of molecular diagnostics and Next-generation sequencing is a plus.
Physical Demands & Working Environment
- Hours and days may vary depending on operational needs.
- Standing or sitting for long periods of time may be necessary.
- May be exposed to hazardous materials, blood specimens and instruments with moving parts, heating or freezing elements, and high-speed centrifugation.
- This position will require work on weekends, and will occasionally require work at night and on holidays.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.