GRAIL is a healthcare company whose mission is to detect cancer early, when it can be cured.
GRAIL is using the power of high-intensity sequencing,population-scale clinical studies, and state-of-the-art computer science and data science to enhance the scientific understanding of cancer biology and to develop and commercialize pioneering products for the early detection of cancer.
We are seeking passionate and talented individuals to join us in realizing our mission, which has the potential to alleviate the global burden of cancer.
In search of the right opportunity for you? Apply to GRAIL to be considered for future roles!
Director of Bioinformatics
GRAIL is a healthcare company whose mission is to detect cancer early, when it can be cured. GRAIL is focused on alleviating the global burden of cancer by developing pioneering technology to detect and identify multiple deadly cancer types early. The company is using the power of next-generation sequencing, population-scale clinical studies, and state-of-the-art computer science and data science to enhance the scientific understanding of cancer biology, and to develop its multi-cancer early detection blood test. GRAIL is located in Menlo Park, California. It is supported by leading global investors and pharmaceutical, technology, and healthcare companies. For more information, please visit www.grail.com
In this role, you will head up a team of bioinformatics scientists to analyze some of the largest, richest biological datasets in the world to find biological signals and patterns and guide our assays and develop new methods for future products. You will work with diverse teams including software, clinical, operations, research, product development, and external collaborators. Your work will result in exciting discoveries in cancer biology, impactful publications, and potential future products.
- Lead, develop, and manage a team of bioinformatics scientists.
- Develop new bioinformatics approaches for analysis of large-scale genomics datasets and application development.
- Collaborate with various internal teams including software, clinical, operations, research, and product development.
- Act as bioinformatics functional lead for GRAIL’s external scientific collaborators.
- End-to-end analysis that includes design, data gathering, processing, analysis, iteration with stakeholders, and presentation of results.
- Promulgate approaches and build tools that preserve scientific rigor and quality.
- Maintain an active external scientific presence.
Your Background Includes:
- Ph.D. in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Statistics, Biological Sciences, Cancer Biology, Genetics, Genomics, Computer Science, Physics, or equivalent preparation and experience.
- Demonstrated ability to manage bioinformatics teams, provide technical leadership, perform translational research, and lead and contribute to cross functional projects.
- Proven track record of proven contributions demonstrated by highly cited publications, impactful tools, products, or data sets used by the scientific community, presentations at international conferences, and awards.
- Must-have 7 years relevant experience in positions of increasing responsibility.
- Deep understanding of modern statistical and machine learning tools for analysis of genomics datasets.
- Demonstrated expertise in at least one programming language (R, Python, Go, C++).
- Proficiency in Linux environment, version control tools, and reproducible research practices.
- Technical leadership and self-direction, willingness to both teach others and learn new techniques.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.