GRAIL is a healthcare company whose mission is to detect cancer early, when it can be cured.
GRAIL is using the power of high-intensity sequencing,population-scale clinical studies, and state-of-the-art computer science and data science to enhance the scientific understanding of cancer biology and to develop and commercialize pioneering products for the early detection of cancer.
We are seeking passionate and talented individuals to join us in realizing our mission, which has the potential to alleviate the global burden of cancer.
In search of the right opportunity for you? Apply to GRAIL to be considered for future roles!
Software Engineer, Bioinformatics
GRAIL is a healthcare company whose mission is to detect cancer early, when it can be cured. GRAIL is focused on alleviating the global burden of cancer by developing pioneering technology to detect and identify multiple deadly cancer types early. The company is using the power of next-generation sequencing, population-scale clinical studies, and state-of-the-art computer science and data science to enhance the scientific understanding of cancer biology, and to develop its multi-cancer early detection blood test. GRAIL is located in Menlo Park, California. It is supported by leading global investors and pharmaceutical, technology, and healthcare companies. For more information, please visit www.grail.com
In this role, you will work closely with scientists, clinicians, statisticians and engineers, developing world-class software for bioinformatics research pipelines. You will work closely in conjunction with bioinformaticians and scientists in driving research and discovery in cancer biology, by supporting the hypothesis and experimentation efforts with well-written, scaleable, robust and high-quality software.
- Develop GRAIL’s deep bench of knowledge and capabilities in bioinformatics, statistics, and data science.
- Productize research analyses through writing and leveraging common Go libraries.
- Development of bioinformatics pipelines for testability, reliability, maintainability, and scalability.
- Development of common tools, libraries and infrastructure to assist in bioinformatics research efforts.
- Carrying out building, validation and releases of research pipelines.
- Standardizing and optimizing release procedures and research pipeline components.
- Perform and support end-to-end research analyses that include design, data gathering, processing, analysis, code implementation, documentation, testing, collaboration with stakeholders, and presentation of results.
- Apply sound engineering principles, iterative approach to software design and adherence to rigorous, high-quality, testable code development.
YOUR BACKGROUND INCLUDES:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Bioinformatics or similar technical field.
- 1+ years of relevant work or internship experience designing, developing, testing and maintaining production grade software.
- Strong knowledge of general purpose programming languages, including Go, C++, Python.
- Demonstrated experience and track record of quickly learning new programming languages, technologies and algorithms.
- Demonstrated technical leadership and self-direction, willingness to both teach others and learn new techniques.
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience in any of the following areas: distributed systems, databases, algorithms.
- Nice to have - experience with next generation sequencing data analyses (DNA, RNA or epigenetic analyses.)
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.