GRAIL is a healthcare company whose mission is to detect cancer early, when it can be cured.
GRAIL is using the power of high-intensity sequencing,population-scale clinical studies, and state-of-the-art computer science and data science to enhance the scientific understanding of cancer biology and to develop and commercialize pioneering products for the early detection of cancer.
We are seeking passionate and talented individuals to join us in realizing our mission, which has the potential to alleviate the global burden of cancer.
In search of the right opportunity for you? Apply to GRAIL to be considered for future roles!
Director, Medical Communications
GRAIL is a healthcare company whose mission is to detect cancer early, when it can be cured. GRAIL is focused on alleviating the global burden of cancer by developing pioneering technology to detect and identify multiple deadly cancer types early. The company is using the power of next-generation sequencing, population-scale clinical studies, and state-of-the-art computer science and data science to enhance the scientific understanding of cancer biology, and to develop its multi-cancer early detection blood test. GRAIL is located in Menlo Park, California. It is supported by leading global investors and pharmaceutical, technology, and healthcare companies. For more information, please visit www.grail.com
GRAIL is seeking a Director of Medical Communications to join the Clinical Development/Medical Affairs (CDMA) department. This person will drive our publication strategy, and, more broadly, our medical communications strategy, and will be responsible for ensuring the publication and/or presentation of our key scientific, clinical, and technological advances in peer-reviewed journals and/or scientific/medical congresses. This role will work closely with numerous other functions, including corporate communications, R&D, clinical development, data science, and biostatistics.
The ideal candidate is a strategic thinker who can also roll up their sleeves and get work done, is detail-oriented, motivated, independent, and able to respond quickly to evolving needs. This position will be based in Menlo Park, California, will have 1-2 direct reports, and will report to the Senior Director of Medical Communications.
- Drive publication strategy, planning, and execution
- Evolve and execute GRAIL’s publication strategy
- Create and coordinate the development and review of scientific abstracts, posters, and presentations
- Develop and support external presentations
- Manage Medical Communication agency budget and day-to-day interactions
- Oversee publication compliance with company and industry regulations and policies, including ICMJE and GPP3
- Assess the impact of the publication strategy and tactics
- Drive monthly Publication Team meetings
- Plan, support, and attend scientific conferences and medical meetings
- Evolve GRAIL’s scientific platform (including potential to develop a new platform)
- Work with corporate communications on external communication strategy, ensuring press releases, FAQs, and other documents/slide decks are scientifically/medically accurate and messaging is aligned
- As a key member of the Medical Affairs team, participate in Medical Affairs strategic planning
- Support pre- and peri-launch activities (eg, participate in launch teams)
- Help develop and maintain Core Data Decks, Disease State Decks, FAQ documents, and training materials for the entire portfolio
- Identify, develop, and maintain relationships with the medical community, thought leaders, and treatment advocates
- Supervise 1-2 team members
- Review study reports, clinical protocols, and summary dossiers for content and accuracy
Your Background Should Include:
- Advanced degree preferred (PhD, PharmD, MD)
- 7+ years of experience in medical affairs (publication planning)
- Successful track record of leading and implementing publication strategy, including preparation of abstracts, manuscripts, posters, and presentation slide decks, managing external reviews and revisions, and the submission process for scientific conferences and journals
- Proven understanding of industry best practices, including ICMJE and GPP3; CMPP-certification preferred
- Commitment to compliance
- Exceptional writing skills and attention to detail
- Excellent research skills and quick learner
- Ability to efficiently manage time and priorities, and adapt to a fast-paced environment
- Excellent leadership and communications skills with experience in externally facing roles, including interactions with key opinion leaders, clinical study site investigators, expert advisors, and other professionals
- Experience in genomics, diagnostics, oncology, or other applied medical fields a plus
- Experience as an exceptional team player with a demonstrated track record of success in cross-functional team environment and leadership roles
- Excellent leadership and communication skills
- Open to remote work for exceptional candidates
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.