In the first quarter of 2023, GRAIL continued to advance our mission to detect cancer early, when it can be cured.
Galleri®, a first-of-its-kind multi-cancer early detection (MCED) blood test, continues to gain traction in the cancer screening market. We are seeing strong demand from both new and existing partners and have received orders from providers for more than 85,000 tests since launch. GRAIL returned results of approximately 20,000 tests in the first quarter of 2023. Notably, we recently announced expansions to early partnerships with both Providence Health System, one of the largest health systems in the western United States, and John Hancock, one of the largest life insurers in the United States.
Revenue in the first quarter of 2023, comprised of Galleri test sales and biopharmaceutical business revenue, increased more than 100% over the same period in 2022. The increase was primarily driven by Galleri test volume growth.
Along with leading researchers in the field, GRAIL continued to present new data in high-quality forums, including the American Society of Clinical Oncology Genitourinary Cancers Symposium (ASCO-GU) 2023 in February. GRAIL will also present new data at the American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) Annual Meeting 2023, April 14-19 in Orlando. We also recently published manuscripts in the journals Nature, BMC Cancer, Lancet Public Health and Cancer Epidemiology.
In March we sponsored the inaugural Galleri Classic, a golf tournament on the PGA TOUR Champions (TOUR players ages 50 and above). More than 80% of the Golf Channel’s PGA TOUR Champions viewership is 50 and older. The Galleri Classic is an important educational opportunity as the average cancer rate among people over the age of 50 is 13 times higher than those under 50. Proceeds from the Galleri Classic are being directed to six local and cancer-related non-profit organizations focused on underserved populations: American Cancer Society (Palm Desert office), Desert Cancer Foundation, Eisenhower Health, Hanson House, Pendleton Foundation, and Shay’s Warriors Life After Cancer.
- In February, GRAIL and John Hancock, a unit of Manulife, announced an expansion of access to Galleri to eligible life insurance customers participating in the John Hancock Vitality PLUS program. This expansion follows a successful pilot program which initially made Galleri available to the life insurance carrier’s customers in 2022. Brooks Tingle, President and CEO, John Hancock said: “Through our John Hancock Vitality Program, we are committed to offering our life insurance customers access to the latest tools and technology to help them live longer, healthier, better lives. It was a natural fit to pilot the Galleri test with a group of customers. The result was resounding: they want this incredible level of insight into their personal health and well-being so they can make more informed decisions. After such a positive initial experience, we expanded access to even more customers in early 2023. We feel so fortunate to have found a partner in GRAIL who shares our vision for helping people live longer, healthier, better lives, and our customers are already experiencing the benefits of this breakthrough tool.”
- In addition, GRAIL and Providence announced an expansion of our existing partnership to offer Galleri as part of clinical care to eligible individuals across the entire Providence health system. Providence has offered Galleri at its California, Washington and Oregon points of care since 2021. Through the expanded partnership, eligible patients at Providence’s 52 hospitals and 900 clinics across seven states will have access to Galleri as part of a comprehensive range of health services.
- With the inaugural Galleri Classic in March, our partnership with the PGA TOUR Champions and our ambassadors – former world #1 and Tour member David Duval and World Golf Hall of Famer Juli Inkster – is helping drive awareness of the Galleri test and education about important benefits of multi-cancer early detection.
- Coinciding with the Galleri Classic, the Palm Springs area’s Desert Care Network introduced the Galleri test as an offering at Desert Regional’s Comprehensive Cancer Center.
- The 140,000 participant NHS-Galleri trial, which completed enrollment in July 2022 in just over ten months, continues to progress with more than half of study participants having returned for their second annual blood draw. The trial recently achieved its halfway point and is currently on track to meet retention targets.
- At AACR 2023 taking place April 14-19, GRAIL will present new data showcasing the performance of its methylation platform to detect cancer across the early- and post-diagnosis settings. In the early-diagnosis setting, GRAIL will present real-world case studies that demonstrate how Galleri led to early detection and treatment of cancer in asymptomatic individuals and directed diagnostic evaluation. In the post-diagnosis setting, GRAIL will present results from analytical validation of its research-use only technology solution to accelerate cancer research in the post-diagnosis setting, launched as an offering to biopharmaceutical companies in January 2023. Potential research use cases for the methylation-based solution include, but are not limited to, prognosis, minimal residual disease detection, and recurrence monitoring across different cancer types.
- GRAIL continues to advance biopharmaceutical research partnerships using our proprietary methylation platform in the development of research technology solutions for clinical trials and patient care across the cancer continuum. Data from several collaborations are expected to be published at medical meetings throughout 2023.